From The Desk Of The Veterans Service Officers  


 If you are visiting us for the first time, please bring a copy of your last DD-214. We need to verify your veteran status. If you are already receiving VA disability compensation, please bring your most recent Award letter. 

The Chapter's Service Officers are still assisting veterans and family members, but they too have had to modify their activities due to COVID-19.  
Their office in Desert View Hospital is no longer open for walk-in traffic, but they are offering appointments on Wednesdays. To make an appointment call 775.537.5146 or email
Kudos to our dedicated Service Officers as they continue to provide vital services to our veteran community.

Cathy Girard -
Bob Hammond - { Wednesday - 07:00-12:00 & 1300 to 1600 (775-537-5146)
Stephen Pitman -

 Service Officers are volunteers; the above schedule is subject to change. 


Posted: March 5, 2016

Posted: March 5, 2016

On February 15, 2016, Senator Dean Heller of Nevada introduced S. 2596. This bill would permit veterans who have service-connected, total and permanent disabilities to travel on military aircraft in the same manner and to the same extent as retired members of the armed forces are entitled to such travel.
This bill would afford priority to totally disabled veterans for transportation on scheduled and unscheduled military flights within the continental United States and on scheduled overseas flights operated by the Air Mobility Command, on a space-available basis. This bill is in accordance with DAV Resolution No. 094, seeking legislation to extend space-available air travel aboard military aircraft to all service-connected veterans entitled to receive compensation at the 100% rate to the same extent and under the same conditions as is currently provided to retired military personnel.
Please use the prepared e-mail or draft your own message to request that your Senator support this important bill and ask that the measure be brought to the floor for a vote and passed as soon as possible.
Thank you for all you do for veterans and their families.
Vets Helping Vets
Posted: Monday. October 4, 2013

Posted: Monday. October 4, 2013

 No Claim File Yet? 


In general , the claimant must be a veteran or the dependent or survivor of a veteran‚ in order to be eligible. For VA purposes, the definition of veteran‚ is‚ a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable.‚ Source: 38CFR3.1(d)


Disability compensation. (1) Basic entitlement for a veteran exists if the veteran is disabled as the result of a personal injury or disease (including aggravation of a condition existing prior to service) while in active service if the injury or the disease was incurred or aggravated in line of duty. Source: 38CFR3.1(b)

In plain English and general terms. In order to receive service connected disability compensation through Veterans Affairs. You must have an other than dishonorable discharge. And you must have evidence that the disability occurred or was aggravated in the line of duty.

 Apply for Benefits 

Once you know you are eligible fill out the application and send it in. The date this application is received will be the start date for you compensation pay if your claim is granted. This will impact how much retroactive pay you are entitled to and everyday you delay filing an application is a day you lose money, should your claim be granted.
Note: Service personnel applying for compensation prior to discharge date and who file within one year after discharge, the retro date is the first day after discharge.

Veterans On Line Application VONAPP

Do not use VONAPP if you: Are receiving compensation, pension, or vocational rehabilitation benefits, or Are applying for an increase in benefits, or Already have a pending application for benefits, or Are notifying the VA about dependency or income changes.

Veterans Application for Benefits Printed Version

   TIP: If you fill out the application by hand, before signing it make several copies and if your form gets lost, all you have to do is sign one of the copies and send it in. I recommend this for all forms Veterans Affairs and Social Security at a minimum.

After VA receives your Application for Compensation, it sends you a letter. The letter explains what VA needs in order to help grant your claim. It states how VA assists in getting records to support your claim. The letter may include forms for you to complete, such as medical releases. They help VA obtain pertinent medical records from your doctor or hospital. You should try to complete and return all forms VA sends within a month. Your claim can often be processed more quickly if you send a copy of your own medical records. This letter is often referred to as the Duty to Assist Letter..

Now a word about whose duty it is in obtaining your records.

The VA does have a duty to assist you in obtaining your records, however, they may not get them all. If when released from active duty you were given a copy of your service medical records (SMRs) and your military personnel record than you are ahead of the game. If the VA needs to get your records that works also. I am going to emphasis again here DO NOT put off filing your application, in order to preserve the earliest effective date of your claim.

When I say the VA may not get them all, for example, you know you were hospitalized at such and such Military Hospital or Private Hospital there are going to records at that hospital that may or may not make it into your Service Medical Records, and the VA won’t‚ even know about it unless you tell them in the application or until they receive your SMRs and start to go through them.

So make a list of all the pertinent records you think the VA should have to decide your claim fairly and make sure they have those records. You can do this by contacting the VA at 1-800-827-1000 after you have filed your application and you have received a letter back from the VA and keep track of what records they have received and the list that you made.

The law says

On November 9, 2000, the President signed into law The Veterans Claims Assistance Act of 2000 (VCAA or Act). See Pub. L. No. 106-475 114 Stat. 2096 (2000). The VCAA Excerpt on Duty to Assist Veterans Claims Assistance Act of 200 Public Law 106-475

Tip: Before signing any forms once they are completely filled out. Make several copies to keep in your files in case the one you send gets lost, then all you have to do is sign it and send it in.

What Records VA Obtains to Support Your Claim

VA then attempts to get all the records relevant to your claimed medical conditions from the military, private hospitals or doctors, or any other place you tell them. The person who decides your claim (called a Rating Veterans Service Representative) may order a medical examination. This is referred to as a compensation and pension exam. This examination is free of charge. It is extremely important that you report for your examination at the scheduled time to avoid delaying your claim.

Tip: Read our Things to do at a compensation and pension exam. Review the official compensation and pension exam worksheets the VA provides Here

What to Expect during the Medical Examination

You should expect the examiner performing your medical examination to evaluate the condition(s) listed on your claim for benefits. Depending on the number and type of disabilities claimed, the length of the examination will vary. Psychiatric examination or that for multiple disabilities requires more time to evaluate.

The examiner may ask more questions about your disability's history, review pertinent medical records, or order additional testing or examinations, if necessary. The examination will not include any form of treatment for disabilities or acute illnesses. Unless additional information, tests, or evaluations are needed, the completed evaluation will be documented and forwarded to the VA Regional Office for processing.

What VA Does after Obtaining Your Records

After the Rating Veterans Service Representative has attempted to secure all the records (or evidence) required by law (including the report of any examinations), he/she reviews your file and makes a decision on the claim according to the law and the particular facts in your case. In the rating decision, the Rating Veterans Service Representative lists the evidence, the decision, and the reasons for it. VA then sends the decision with a cover letter. If benefits are granted, the letter provides the monthly payment amount and the effective date. Payments usually begin soon after you receive the letter (see Disability Award Attachment Information). However, if benefits are not granted and you think the decision was in error, or if you think the percentage evaluation or effective date is wrong, you may appeal (see Understanding the Appeals Process (*pdf format))

DSO North Clinic
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013

For your info and I respectfully request you disperse this info to All Veterans,  
Subject: DSO at North Clinic
The Disabled American Veterans, Department of Nevada now has a Department Service Officer located at the VA North Clinic, address is 916 West Owens Ave, Las Vegas, NV 89106.
The DSO is Mark Melton, his office is in Room 363, phone number is (702) 791-9000, ext. 15859.  His days and hours at the West Owens Ave., location are Monday-Friday 0800-1130. First come first served no appointments.
Richard Walker
Adj. DAV Dept. of Nevada
Veterans & PTSD
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013

Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013